Tuesday, August 08, 2006

(Meta)Morphosis

Talking with J.No yesterday about boxes and Morphosis (and some others). Morphosis is one of my early heroes when I only knew Mies, Corbu and those “first generation” modernists. I knew little about PoMo, Decon and boom, I was like, you can do that? I was attracted to Mayne’s work not because I got it, but because it was cool, pieces flying in the air. It was the rock-n’-roll architecture. Like music, this happens almost entirely on the emotional level with very little intellectual satisfaction. Can we learn from (or at least copy) it? Is it about contemporary society becoming ambiguous in every way that there are always layers of information on top of one another? Is it about form folding and fragmenting in movement to suggest… shall we say… change? Or is it manifestation of post-modernity (not pomo) without Eisenman’s BS? It seems that architects take many forms and approaches, and at the end of the day, it is as much internal as external influence. Maybe it is the integrity and persistency that matters most, not so much the “right” ideas.

No comments: